Hi, I'm Karran, a Toronto based artist. I design experiences, photograph moments which never occured and drink tea.
Often, all at the same time.
I have a MFA degree from Cambridge School of Art in the UK which I concentrated in Fine Art Photography and a BFA from Rutgers University in the USA which I concentrated on Graphic Design. Both degrees were finished with Merit.
My current gig since September, 2016 is at Business for the Arts where I work independently and under the Creative Director to conceptualise and design video, web-based, and printed material which promote and educate our core programs; artsVest, Canadian Arts Summit, BFTA Awards Gala, and the arts & business exchange.
Prior to that, I spent time at the E.R. Burrowes School of Art in Georgetown Guyana. In the 2 years I worked there, I developed and taught the curriculums for Graphic Design and Photography. I also designed and devloped the BSA Student Page for the students to access lectures, relevant news events and their grades. While in Georgetown, I promoted the art of Photography in Guyana trough events focusing on story telling and engaging discourse for The Photography Sessions from 2014 - 15. In my year as coordinator, I had to liaise with artists and the venue, organise data for promotion, create promotional material, and manage the webpage, which I also designed and developed with the intention of it being a space for research.
I am also a Fine Artist who exhibits photographs internationally in North and South America and Europe. Look through the timeline section for more details.
- Featured in Picturing the Place of Memory: An After-Exposure of Indenture | Duke University Press, USA
- Selected exhibiting artist for Liminal Spaces, a photographic exhibition, NYC, USA
- Featured in 16 Guyanese Artists Explore the Impact of Migration | Vice Creators, NYC, USA
- Featured in Restorative visual narratives on the Guyanese migration experience | Guyana Chronicle, Georgetown, GY
- Selected exhibiting artist for ArtLanguageLocation 2016, a group installation, Cambridge, UK
- Published the article Narrative Photography in the Guyana Sunday Times Magazine, Georgetown, GY
- Reviewed in The Village Voice for Un | Fixed Homeland, NYC, USA
- Selected exhibiting artist for Un | Fixed Homeland, a photographic exhibition, Newark, NJ, USA
- Coordinator and co-curator of Visions Exhibition 2016, a photographic exhibition, Georgetown, GY
- Selected works published in Ku'Wai Issue 2 December 2015
- Member of the Mashramani 2016 Organising Committee, Georgetown, GY
- Coordinator and Moderator of Photography Sessions: Facades: The Diverse Guyanese Identity at Moray House, Georgetown, GY
- Exhibited Something, Somewhere as a part of ArtLanguageLocation 2015, Cambridge, UK
- Coordinator and Moderator of Photography Sessions: Humans of Guyana at Moray House, Georgetown, GY
- Featured artist in the Guyana Visual Arts Competition and Exhibition at Castillani House, Georgetown, GY
- Placed 3rd in the Photography Category of the Guyana Visual Arts Competition and Exhibition, Georgetown, GY
- Published a featured article in the Guyana Sunday Times, GY
- Moderated the 4th Photography Sessions at Moray House Trust, Georgetown, GY
- Conducted a talk titled Photography and Memory at Moray House Trust, Georgetown, GY
- Designed the visual identity for The Institute of Creative Arts, Georgetown, GY
- The Last Day screened at the Romsey Art Festival and SHINDIG, Cambridge, UK
- Judge of Capture Guyana: The Republic of Guyana Photographic Competition and Exhibition, Georgetown, Guyana